Recommended Chicagland Tuner for KA-T

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Recommended Chicagland Tuner for KA-T

Post by KarateBoy on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Hey guys,

New to this forum but not new to the Silvia world. I have a 1995 black S14 that I just installed a turbonetics turbo on. Pics will come soon.

The most common recommendation I've gotten is get Nistune+dyno tune at a reputable tuner. Could anyone give me a short list of reputable tuners and expected cost for the nistune+tuning?

Thanks in advance

KarateBoy

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Recommended Chicagland Tuner for KA-T

Post by simon on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:28 am

enthalpy tune @ TF

simon

Number of posts : 1186
Vehicle : s13
Registration date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:36 am

Who or what is TF?

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simon on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:55 am

touge factory

they do rom tunes for $400, where they ship your ECU out to enthalpy and have it chipped.

I have two of the chipsets from an enthalpy tune if youre looking to save some money, ill sell them cheap

ran it on my t3/t4 SR with 740cc injectors, shit was smoooooth.

the chips can be reset to whatever tune you want.

simon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:01 am

I think I like the real-time-ness of the Nistune and the fact that I don't need to worry about shipping it back and forth to a tuner.

Can you recommend a dyno tuner? Expected price?

I'm also curious about wideband sensor + gauge recommendations. Recently, I've been hearing people complain a little about the AEM and recommending this: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/innovate-standalone-gauge-kit-lc1-blue-db-gauge-3795-p-153.html

The Innovate is said to be more accurate but how is that possible if they both use a Bosch sensor?

HOWEVER, this refutes the claim that there is much wrong with the AEM: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/FM_WB_Shootout.pdf

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simon on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:10 am

ill garage

simon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian_S13 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Simon is talking about tf works. Call them 1.847.690.1262
Adrian_S13

Number of posts : 703
Vehicle : 93 piggy hatch
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nismo03 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:07 pm

talk to boostin240 ( thats his username on this forum) at msp good bunch of guys and def know what there doin
nismo03

Number of posts : 109
Vehicle : 93 240sx
Registration date : 2010-01-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Yea, I knew about Ill Garage and Midwest- both seem knowledgeable and fair. Only apprehension with MSP is they don't have a dyno but they told me they can rent one and their tuner is good.

Is that all we have in Chicago?

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:52 pm

AMS is suppose to be really good with KA-T's.
Vlad

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Just called AMS. They can't order the Nistune unit.

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Here is a great website for this sort of stuff. I am not a big fan of drag racing, but apparently AMS builds KA's for that... so I would assume they would be the shop to go for these motors, I also believe they are on the below website.

http://www.ka-t.org/
Vlad

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks for the link. I recently registered there too and am asking the same question.

Here's my thread with some info on what I'm doing: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49271

First time turning on the motor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSrd963OoXs

I'd still love some more suggestions or confirmation on my choice of the Innovate wideband. I don't want every single gauge in my car to be from a different manufacturer and I don't believe they make boost controllers.

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zerepdivad on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:15 pm

just run an fmu on it and retard the timing a bit and run like 7 psi you'll be good for a while haha

zerepdivad

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-06-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kg300zxtt on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 pm

All i have to say this is you're lackey day

I'm almost finishing my ka-t and I have nistune with a innovative motorsports wideband

I know a tuner that recommended me to go with innovate wideband because nistune dosent have any problems reading it (he has a s14 ka-t stock internals seance 2002 and made 70k miles with it with no problems so i know his good)

And nistune is the best choice for engine management because its a nissan ecu based standalone
and super detailed in tuning not a approximate like chip tuning also its much safer do to stock knock sensing . if something goes wrong nissan has knock maps and car goes to limp mode so u can't rev pest 2000 rpm. As of tuning you can actually tune this without a dyno but just to fine tune it its more convenient to put it on a dyno.

Now it should be a few more days and I'm gonna be tuning the car so I'm gonna let you know how it goes.

prices are good for what you get the only think is i wouldn't recommend it if you don't know the following

electrical backround
know how ecu works
what is k constant
theoretical pulswith
air fuel ratio tuning

If you can somehow answer those or willing to learn than go ehead
if not it just to complicated and you will get lost and there are almost no people that can help you with this.

if you have more questions let me know.
kg300zxtt

Number of posts : 87
Vehicle : 98 S14--95 s14 KA power

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:40 am

Hey guys - you might be interested in hearing this.

I took the un-tuned car on for a spin for the first time yesterday. The turbo spools REALLY fast- I'm talking about you can feel it starting at 2000 RPM and by the time I hit 3000-3500 RPM my clutch is spinning freely.

I was surprised how quickly the clutch gave out! The stock clutch was in good condition- never slipped before- and I couldn't have built that much boost yet at 3K on an untuned ecu but it was too much for it to handle.

SO even though I was hoping I could get the clutch to last me about a month or so, it lasted me 3 minutes and now I'm in the market for a new one.

Any suggestion? This seems to be the best deal I can find: http://www.frsport.com/SPEC-SN543-Clutch-Kit-Stage-3-Nissan-S13-S14-KA24DE-KA24E_p_13716.html Anyone know how this clutch feels? I LOVE a smooth feeling clutch.

As always, thanks in advance.

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kg300zxtt on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:29 pm

First of all you have to tell me what do you have done to the car and where you're heading to give you better advice.

My opinion about nistune is that its a nissan stock fully functional standalone ecu that uses all the sensors from the car simple as that . But also super complicated and complex like nissan engeneers worlds are lol.

next step is to figure out if you're ecu is compatible with nistune (only 95 ecu are and there are some exceptions) I had to buy a extra one because mine was compatible but didint work so i sand it to the guy, still didint work then called australia and they told me that one out of a 100 ecu dont work and there not sure why so i got a ecu on ebay send it to the tuner he installed it and tested it and it worked. 3 weeks

Than you have to decide if you want to install it yourself or send it out (i did it myself but it didn't work so i send it to the tuner he told me i did it right but it was the ecu) the other ecu i had drop shipped to him and he installed it for free because of the trouble i had to go through.

I can buy all the stuff you need from the guy and get a better deal because i spend alot of money with him.

Which includes
nistune board
wideband
and consult usb cable
license

When it comes in you download nistune and rom pack
get the licence code to open nistune
and have to register on there forum

When it comes to tuning it goes like this

First ask yourself how dos a chip tuner tune youre ecu when he dont have youre car

tell you how because he knows what parts are on the car and that gives him enough data to do a approximate tune that pulls timming and fuel to safe margin, As of fine tuning the car can make more power but it needs datalogin a dyno to see what happens when you drive the car than you can fine tune youre ignition timming and fuel to make power.

So how can you tune a car without a dyno

a dyno is a rolling road (rollers represent the cars weight which is never accurate anyway because a 240 weigh 2800 pounds and dyno rollers usualy weigh more thats why you get stupid hp figures that seem off its just like when you dyno a stock car and it tells you that it makes 20%less power then the factory claims lol. But that's a another story i can tell you later

So a empty road that you can pull a car through 3rd gear is even better because it represent real road condition but there is a downside its hard to find a place that you can do that.

What do i mean about real road conditions well like aerodynamic drag, road surface stuff that dynos can't provide.

A basic knowledge of engine tuning is essential. Blindly adjusting parameters will result in engine damage.
If you don’t have this knowledge and are not prepared to research and learn then please pay somebody else
to do the tuning. We can provide the tools for tuning of your Nissan engine, we can’t provide the
knowledge

Now how can you tell if the changes you make to the timming and fuel ratios are good well
first read the manual at least 15 times (trust me it will start sinking in )

number one is making sure you're car is in good shape mechanically.

than most tuning involves adjusting the Injection Multiplier (AKA “K Constant” in the
Nissan ECU tuning world) to get mixtures roughly correct and then adjusting the Fuel/IGN maps to obtain
correct mixtures/timing throughout all RPM and load points

there are 12 basic points

1) Ensure vehicle is running correctly as per Section 1. If possible do a “baseline run” and record AFR’s
across a full load pull. It’s also good to do a log (in NIStune) of things like TPS voltage, AFM voltage,
injector pulsewidth, IGN timing and RPM. This provides a handy reference.
2) If AFM/injectors are to be changed then fit the new AFM/injectors. If it’s a used AFM then be sure to
clean the sensing element!
3) With O2 sensing turned off, adjust K Constant until low load AFR’s are correct (don’t touch K if you
are using std AFM and injectors).
4) Check that IGN maps are “safe” (ie: take a few degrees out in high load areas).
5) Perform initial full load run on low boost and check AFR’s.
6) Adjust values in fuel map to achieve desired AFR’s across the RPM range (usually 11.5 – 12.3:1)
7) Perform full boost run and check that Load scales are correct. Adjust so the last column is accessed at
full boost. (Note: always monitor knock as boost levels increase).
Cool Decrease boost in small increments and adjust fuel map to achieve correct mixtures at all load and
RPM values.
9) Move to IGN maps. At max boost, slowly increase timing in the high load areas until torque stops
rising (or knock is noted). Other methods of knock detection can be used (see “IGN Map Tuning).
10) Decrease boost in small increments and adjust IGN map to achieve optimum IGN timing at all load and
RPM values.
11) When tuning is complete, perform another “logging” run, recording the same data as in Step 1. As a
minimum record AFR’s and boost levels against RPM.
12) Road test to double check absence of knock and check for any driveability issues.

in nistune first adjust youre fuel ratios and timming based on youre widebend starting with low boost till you rech knck then retard ignition some and increase the fuel ratio
then work youre way out to rech youre desired boost level (and they have some tips and rules on the numbers red the manual on that) then whe youre fuel and timming maps take shape
you can use the dataloging on nistune and take a drive on 3rd gear (like dyno) and record the data then u can tell that ( example at 4500rpm you had a lean spot at full boost and full throttle so you go back to the map and change the fuel map at that spot to add more fuel then go take a drive and the lean spot is gone, thats fine tuning and a dyno is more convenient for that.

If you want to go to extremes in nistune you can tune the car so well that it will idel like stock even with loopy cams car fine tune on multiple load levels and part throttle responsiveness. Thats what takes tuners weeks to achieve and costs thousands so only race teams with money and racecars do that. But its possible with nistune lol

So You might think that I'm insane but i say that nistune its a ultimate toy lol.

last im in the process of tuning this thing so i should have more info data and experience within few weeks or days.

and i live on the northside of chicago so i can tell you alot of details and stuff ( dont want to wast time on the computer) e mail me or let me know if you want to meet up .

kg300zxtt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:58 pm

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info. I'll take you up on your offer because I think I just scored a decent deal on a complete nistune kit.

My car started spewing white smoke today- i hope that means its running lean and not leaking coolant.

Last edited by KarateBoy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:07 pm

This is what the car has

Fmic
Turbonetic Turbo .48 a/r
Turbonetics Evolution wastegate with 7 lb spring
Turbonetics Raptor BOV
Stock MAF (have z32 in hand just not installed)
Stock injector (550 cc sti injectors in hand)

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kg300zxtt on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:19 pm

I don't want to scare you but if you're burning white smoke that may be coolant ur burning most likely head gasket blown if its not to bad than just look at you're coolant level if its going down or engine might start overheating also you might get compression escaping to the coolant system.

if is blue smoke than that's oil burning usually pce valve

if its black smoke you're running rich or timming is off and you're not burning all the fuel.

kg300zxtt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:39 am

I still need to investigate. My water pump is giving out so its leaking coolant. Not sure why the head gasket could have given out- car never over heated. It only started spewing white smoke after i gave it some gas but once it rested in idle for a bit, it stopped.

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Hey guys,

I've searched and I've gotten mixed answers to this simple question.

I have a Turbonetics T3/TO4B .48 a/r with a 7lb spring and a manual boost controller. I think at 7-8lbs I'm pushing (or will be pushing after I get it tuned) close to 250 hp with the goal of eventually hitting 300+.

I'vs spent all weekend researching the F1 Racing Stage 3 clutch + flywheel combo. This is generally what I've found.

Flywheel is made in the same factory as Fidanza. No one seems to complain about the quality of this part. Offered in both aluminum and chromoly, I would get the latter.

The clutch is probably made by SMT - Summit Tech from South Korea. While most people warn about eBay clutches (MUCH more complaints about XTR/XTD), the individuals who go out and actually buy the F1 clutch - RSX, RX7, E36, STi, EVO, Mustang, etc...- are generally happy. Moreover, the seller, Gripforce sells about 16,000 clutch kits per year with 99.9% positive feedback.

The pressure plate might be an ACT pressure plate.

Can anyone else shed some light on this discussion?

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kg300zxtt on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:21 pm

Well my friend has a daily s13 ka with internals running 23lbs boost and all that goes through a spec stage 2 clutch and a stock flywheel his car probably runs somewhere between 350-400 hp and starts to slip because its too much to handle he loves the clutch its a little softer then stock but easy to drive as a daily.

About e bay clutches I think all clutches are made to some kind of a industry standard for safety reason and a ability to sell product like that. I don't think they can cut any corners when it comes to auto parts. And most pressure plates are the same when you look at them except very expensive dual disc or carbon clutches that require more clamping force.
kg300zxtt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateBoy on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:44 pm

Sorta expensive day for me:

$300 for Stage 3 Clutch+Lightened Chromoly Flywheel
$260 for Innovate Wideband sensor + digital gauge + walbro fuel pump + mounting kit
$310 for Nistune ECU with consult cable and individual license

I've read through the manual a few time and I think i get it but if you'd be willing to help a fellow Chicagolander out, I'd appreciate it.

All I need know are STi clips for my 550 cc injectors and confirmation that I don't need to replace the head or head gasket

KarateBoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kg300zxtt on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:19 pm

I think sti injectors are the same.

As headgaskets go regular headgaskets are as durable as multilayer gaskets the only difference is that there reusable i bet you didn't know that. As long as its not fucked up it should be fine. I always change all the gaskiets when i take engines apart just to be safe with no leaks and there cheap.

U still thinking about the clutch

Be aware of installing clutches read the manual to see how its done.

My friend went to one 6 motorsports to get a clutch and flywheel installed on a tiburon after a few weeks it was slipping and grinding gears and was hard to get it off the start,( it was a expensive ACT) one year later he had to replace it and when a mechanic took it off he asked my friend what kind of retard installed his clutch because the flywheel was installed the wrong way. Well that's fucked up and ACT is one of the best clutches but of you install it wrong that's what happens sometime he couldn't shift to gears.

kg300zxtt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top