Adjusting RUCAs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by mmm240 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:02 am

I got some; I'm gonna wing it. Got mad camber issues. Any tips?
avatar
mmm240

Number of posts : 882
Age : 33
Location : Racine, WI
Vehicle : 93 240 vert, 92 Yota pickup, 01 Honda F4i
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by simon on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:16 am

what kind of rucas? what I did was adjusted mine to the same length as the stock rucas, which made it driveable until i got an allignment..

simon

Number of posts : 1186
Age : 26
Location : chi
Vehicle : s13
Registration date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by mmm240 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:26 am

Circuit Sports. I need to replace my tie rods too, but my engine is leaking oil and it's a mess under there so I don't wanna put my shiny new ones on yet til I pull that motor and clean it up. Thus I don't wanna waste an alignment on it yet.

They are adjusted to stock which is about 3-4* neg camber.
avatar
mmm240

Number of posts : 882
Age : 33
Location : Racine, WI
Vehicle : 93 240 vert, 92 Yota pickup, 01 Honda F4i
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by simon on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 am

yeah thats what I had too. I must have adjusted it wrong because i ended up with 2-3 neg camber on each side.. whatever.

as long as your dust boots for your tie rods arent ripped then you can throw em on whenever, oil wont get into the boot. make sure you have a torch though for taking oem tie rods off.

simon

Number of posts : 1186
Age : 26
Location : chi
Vehicle : s13
Registration date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by simon on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 am

uhh. oil + torch.. yeah wait until theres no oil leaking on second thought dude...lol

simon

Number of posts : 1186
Age : 26
Location : chi
Vehicle : s13
Registration date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by 240sxguy on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:09 am

If your replacing the ends, just use a pickle fork separator and a 5 pound sledge. You can rent one from autozone for free. I bought one, they are cheap and handy.

Have an alignment shop adjust your rucas, I agree... set them to stock length. If you don't have rear toe arms your rear toe will be wacked, and thats no fun to drive.

240sxguy
Admin

Number of posts : 456
Age : 37
Location : Madison, Wi
Vehicle : 1995 240sx
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by Karma on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:07 pm

simon wrote:yeah thats what I had too. I must have adjusted it wrong because i ended up with 2-3 neg camber on each side.. whatever.

as long as your dust boots for your tie rods arent ripped then you can throw em on whenever, oil wont get into the boot. make sure you have a torch though for taking oem tie rods off.

i didnt need a torch to take off my oem tierods.....but one of them got right angled thanks to a pole Sad so maybe that that helped Evil or Very Mad
avatar
Karma

Number of posts : 177
Age : 27
Location : sw minnesota
Vehicle : 92 240sx/ 95 impreza awd
Registration date : 2009-02-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by eS 13_maJiK on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:57 pm

240sxguy wrote:If your replacing the ends, just use a pickle fork separator and a 5 pound sledge. You can rent one from autozone for free. I bought one, they are cheap and handy.

Have an alignment shop adjust your rucas, I agree... set them to stock length. If you don't have rear toe arms your rear toe will be wacked, and thats no fun to drive.

Just pound the side of the spindle where the tie rod end goes in, it'll pop right out otherwise use a fork..RUCA's will have no effect on your toe they adust the wheel in totally different ways and have no effect on each other
avatar
eS 13_maJiK

Number of posts : 738
Age : 28
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by mmm240 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:35 pm

You guys are losing concentration and missing the point here. lol. I just wanna adjust my RUCAs
avatar
mmm240

Number of posts : 882
Age : 33
Location : Racine, WI
Vehicle : 93 240 vert, 92 Yota pickup, 01 Honda F4i
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by eS 13_maJiK on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Just eye ball it, or go to a shop..I eye balled it and mine are fine..I have more negative camber but idc i get tires for free
avatar
eS 13_maJiK

Number of posts : 738
Age : 28
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by 240sxguy on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 pm

eS 13_maJiK wrote:

Just pound the side of the spindle where the tie rod end goes in, it'll pop right out otherwise use a fork..RUCA's will have no effect on your toe they adust the wheel in totally different ways and have no effect on each other


If you slam your car, and fix the camber with a ruca your toe will off. If the factory adjustment is enough to get it back in spec great, it wasn't in my car. You can't change the length of one arm without changing other specs. Having driven my car with the rear toe adjusted improperly, I can tell you its scary. Rear end tries to snap around and skitters around in the rain.

240sxguy
Admin

Number of posts : 456
Age : 37
Location : Madison, Wi
Vehicle : 1995 240sx
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by lizmo on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:14 pm

i would just take it somewhere... that way ur car isnt like oh lets go left oh wait lets go right oh yeah... lol. thats my imitation of a car Smile
avatar
lizmo
Admin

Number of posts : 780
Age : 30
Location : milwaukee
Vehicle : 240sx & sc300 both 2jz powered :)
Registration date : 2009-01-28

View user profile http://www.fquick.com/staticlizmk3

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by 240sxguy on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:16 pm

http://www.importspecialists.ca/240sx-suspension-dissected.php

Read this so you know exactly what your dealing with.

Liz, I agree. You will chew tires like crazy if you just haphazardly set them

240sxguy
Admin

Number of posts : 456
Age : 37
Location : Madison, Wi
Vehicle : 1995 240sx
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by mmm240 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Well, that told me that the RUCA is used for adjusting camber. Good thing cause I had no idea. lol. I know you're just trying to help.

I did adjust it; a little goes a long way! I got positive camber now. I'll work it out soon. I don't really drive the car and when I do it goes relatively straight. I don't care if the tires get beat up, they are old and dryrotted.
avatar
mmm240

Number of posts : 882
Age : 33
Location : Racine, WI
Vehicle : 93 240 vert, 92 Yota pickup, 01 Honda F4i
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by eS 13_maJiK on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:29 pm

240sxguy wrote:
eS 13_maJiK wrote:

Just pound the side of the spindle where the tie rod end goes in, it'll pop right out otherwise use a fork..RUCA's will have no effect on your toe they adust the wheel in totally different ways and have no effect on each other


If you slam your car, and fix the camber with a ruca your toe will off. If the factory adjustment is enough to get it back in spec great, it wasn't in my car. You can't change the length of one arm without changing other specs. Having driven my car with the rear toe adjusted improperly, I can tell you its scary. Rear end tries to snap around and skitters around in the rain.

Can you please explain to me your reasoning the only thing they have in common is that they both cause tire wear, because when you lower your car the wheels will move in like so
that is what we call camber,

Toe on the other hand moves the wheel PERPENDICULAR to what camber does like so


Lowering a vehicle does not cause your toe to be effected unless your mess with the toe arms.
avatar
eS 13_maJiK

Number of posts : 738
Age : 28
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by 240sxguy on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:04 am


240sxguy
Admin

Number of posts : 456
Age : 37
Location : Madison, Wi
Vehicle : 1995 240sx
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by roski on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:31 am

BUT. . if you shorten your RUCAs too much you will def get toe. .
the oem toe arms arent adjustable. .so in making the RUCA smaller the toe arm pulls itself up and in. . .causing crazy toe ..

just measure the stock arm .. and know if u want closer to 0 camber make it longer than the stock length. .
and set both ruca's to the same length. .
dont eyeball it. . cuz driving in the rain turns out to be a real pain. .

or fuck it. . go get an alignment
avatar
roski

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by 240sxguy on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks Roski.

Its definitely apparent in the photo I pictured above what happens.

Evan

240sxguy
Admin

Number of posts : 456
Age : 37
Location : Madison, Wi
Vehicle : 1995 240sx
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by eS 13_maJiK on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:29 am

Sry I should have specified what i meant..Roski is right, it all depends on your suspension type, If you have all stock arms and you lower your car and the arms are porportional toe won't be affected.. but yes if you adjust your RUCA's your wheel will move at a angle to cause toe
avatar
eS 13_maJiK

Number of posts : 738
Age : 28
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by 240sxguy on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:36 am

eS 13_maJiK wrote:Sry I should have specified what i meant..Roski is right, it all depends on your suspension type, If you have all stock arms and you lower your car and the arms are porportional toe won't be affected.. but yes if you adjust your RUCA's your wheel will move at a angle to cause toe

You ask me for a diagram, then act like you knew this all along? Whatever man.

240sxguy
Admin

Number of posts : 456
Age : 37
Location : Madison, Wi
Vehicle : 1995 240sx
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by lilskyline240 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:09 pm

240sxguy wrote:
eS 13_maJiK wrote:Sry I should have specified what i meant..Roski is right, it all depends on your suspension type, If you have all stock arms and you lower your car and the arms are porportional toe won't be affected.. but yes if you adjust your RUCA's your wheel will move at a angle to cause toe

You ask me for a diagram, then act like you knew this all along? Whatever man.




My car was aligned perfect with spring/strut combo. Second i slammed my car on coils i had crazy toe problems. Which is why when i sold my coils.. i needed another alignment yet again
avatar
lilskyline240

Number of posts : 848
Age : 29
Location : Milwaukee WI
Vehicle : 90 coupe RB30det
Registration date : 2009-01-30

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/illwaxurass

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by undesiredshoe on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:03 pm

eS 13_maJiK wrote:Sry I should have specified what i meant..Roski is right, it all depends on your suspension type, If you have all stock arms and you lower your car and the arms are porportional toe won't be affected.. but yes if you adjust your RUCA's your wheel will move at a angle to cause toe

Toe will be affected when you lower a car with stock control arms.

undesiredshoe

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting RUCAs?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum