Left Foot Braking

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Left Foot Braking

Post by Nomuken9 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:24 pm

This is copied from one of my friend's posts on another forum. Its really helpful, and yes, i've tried it (but need a ton of practice)

"Winter is the best season to learn left foot braking. Left foot braking is the technique of applying brake pedal pressure with your left foot while you maintain accelerator pressure with your right foot. Its most basic use is turning a front wheel drive car on low traction surface such as snow and ice, but once you've mastered it there are plenty of other applications elsewhere.

How?

Probably the easiest environment to learn left foot braking is a front wheel drive car with good winter tires in the front on ice. Snow is the next best thing after ice. Find a large open area to drive around or a wide turn that can be taken at ~30 mph or more.

Accelerate to ~30 mph and put the car in second gear. You should be doing 2000-4000 rpm, enough that you have power but not so much that you're spinning tires. Now turn the steering wheel about 1/4-1/2 turn in either direction. The car will probably start pushing. Find the steering angle at which the car begins to push, let's say it happens when you turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn. Make another pass and this time right after you turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn, put your left foot on the brake pedal and press it gently. You will start losing speed and RPMs, so put your right foot on the accelerator to hold RPMs and speed constant. If you've done the procedure correctly you will not be feeling any understeer at 1/4 turn of the steering wheel, the car will want to turn. You might even go sideways.

Applying the brakes in this situation stops wheelspin on the front wheels, making all tire grip available for cornering. You should be turning at roughly a constant speed - if you find yourself slowing down, apply more accelerator pressure, and if you're speeding up apply more brake pressure.

Once you have this basic procedure down you can use the brakes to turn the car more or less. Applying more braking power will cause your rear wheels to lock up while the front wheels continue to rotate due to engine power. This way you can either drift a FWD car on snow or ice or take corners at speeds not otherwise achievable, as you have an additional means of rotating the car. You won't be able to exceed the traction offered by your front tires, but what you will be able to achieve is using all of that traction to turn the car. New snow tires really stick to the snow, you may be surprised how much grip they can generate if used in this manner.

Why?

Besides sliding FWD cars, left foot braking has numerous other uses.

- On pavement, left foot braking can be used to rotate the car in a turn. After you turn the steering wheel into a turn press the brake pedal to have the car turn a bit better. On pavement very little braking force is needed, which is why learning on snow is much easier. Here left foot braking is really used as as weight transfer technique to shift weight toward the front of the car, increasing grip available to front tires thus helping the car turn.

- When you're comfortable operating gas and brake at the same time you can position your right foot so that it covers both pedals. Now when you're braking in straight lines in low traction conditions you can give the car some gas to ensure that you don't stall the engine. Pressing brakes hard in a front wheel drive car when you're driving on snow or, if you have worn tires, even on wet pavement can stall the engine if you have more brakes than power.

- Now when you drive around town in a snowstorm, you don't have to worry about going off road nose first. Whenever you take a turn, downshift to a gear that you have power in and hover your left foot over the brake pedal. If you feel the car pushing, hit the brakes and make it turn.

- In drifting left foot braking transfers weight to the front tires. Say you're in a drift and you need to lose speed, but you don't want to stop drifting. With left foot braking you unload your rear tires, so that less gas is needed to keep them spinning while you negotiate a tight turn. This is something I realized last Sunday in New Jersey and definitely need to practice.
"

:farao:
Nomuken9

Number of posts : 16
Vehicle : boobs
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Left Foot Braking

Post by 0v3rPr0t3ct3d on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:41 pm

i personally havnt tried it but i heard good things!!! hahah also i think another word for it is brake boostin!?
0v3rPr0t3ct3d

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trucky on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:21 am

Its called heel and toe, its used to keep revs up when entering a corner, since some cars make their most power at high RPM's...
D*star has mastered this, and shit sounds rad ass fuck when u do it on the streets..
trucky

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Revgasm_Josh on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm

heal/toe is basic pedal technique?

left foot braking is something totally different.

Revgasm_Josh

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2009-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Revgasm_Josh on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:23 pm

as far as i know, i use left foot brake to eliminate understeer. instead of modulating with the throttle too much u can stay on the throttle at a constant rate while modulating the brake with your left foot.

Left foot brake is also a used in very advanced driving situations. Watch rally drivers, since they eliminated the use of the clutch in their cars they can concentrate on the balance of their cars with using both feet. Fucken amazing

perfect example

i also left foot brake to smoke up the tires real good while drifting. cheers

Last edited by Revgasm_Josh on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Revgasm_Josh

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2009-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 14k on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Fukin Great,..........I wanna learn that this summer.
Admin

Number of posts : 2687
Vehicle : Cheby truck
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile http://midwest240sx.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eS 13_maJiK on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:44 pm

hmmm...i just heel toe. haha i was at that HIN
eS 13_maJiK

Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark (Ooo' Dang) on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:07 pm

foot work !
Mark (Ooo' Dang)

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eS 13_maJiK on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:42 pm

I wish i had small asian feet to be super speedy and not need smaller pedals
eS 13_maJiK

Number of posts : 738

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by D*star on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:10 pm

the boy trucky!! wrote:Its called heel and toe, its used to keep revs up when entering a corner, since some cars make their most power at high RPM's...
D*star has mastered this, and shit sounds rad ass fuck when u do it on the streets..

Haha.
Trucky Fail.
Ive only ever left foot braked in the rain for tight U type turns to bring my line in closer to the inside.
THats my only experience with it though.

You Know the Rules D

D*star

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rad Mike on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:12 pm

i think he is talking about how you mastered heel toe.
Rad Mike
BRINGING SEXY BACK

Number of posts : 1162
Vehicle : Angel's Cornhole

View user profile http://chicagoarea240sx.editboard.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Karma on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:45 am

nice drifting
Number of posts : 177
Vehicle : 92 240sx/ 95 impreza awd