Midwest240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my turbo setup/maintenance

5 posters

Go down

my turbo setup/maintenance Empty my turbo setup/maintenance

Post by VNG704 Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:33 am

I got this stuff coming in and putting on soon...

gt28r, z32 mafs, tuned ecu, 550cc inj., 256/264cams, new rocker arms, ras, ssk, j30 lsd

The car's got a timing chain rattle so...
timing chain kit, oem thermostat, water pump, alum rad/e-fan setup...

hoping for 300whp.

Any tips/info on my setup or installation?

Last edited by VNG704 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
VNG704
VNG704

Number of posts : 75
Vehicle : 00 4Runner, '97 240SX
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

my turbo setup/maintenance Empty Re: my turbo setup/maintenance

Post by DockSide55 Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:49 am

what motor? and wtf. thats the exact same setup i was going for. nice going. lol.
DockSide55
DockSide55

Number of posts : 1201
Vehicle : 93' Fastback
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:53 pm

s13 blacktop. I've got other mods too but this turbo setup is popular for +/- 300whp so I can see how you might have the same list. The car's sitting in the garage because of the timing chain rattle and snow comes around once a week.... Also waiting on the timing chain kit, which is the first thing I want to get done. can't wait, I'm ready to drive this thing.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:10 pm

oh man, timing chain kit install is a pain. Why does the exhaust side need to be taken off? wtf. I can't wait for the o-ring to come in so I can finish this.

Got a problem: The colored chain links and the dots on the gears are lined up but the motor isn't at TDC. It was but moved when I pulled the crank pulley. How to go about this? I've searched a few forums but everyone just states to time it and make sure it's on TDC but what to do if you're not on TDC? t.i.a.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by 14k Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:25 pm

then u find the markings on the crank pulley where the chain rides.
Admin

Number of posts : 2687
Vehicle : Cheby truck
Registration date : 2009-01-18

https://midwest240sx.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:58 am

Cracked the rear main seal retainer. Great, now I have to pull the tranny to get to that. Also going to send the spare head to get some machine work done. Need to line bore the cam caps and head. This is the head I'm going to put the cams and springs/retainers in. Multi-angle valve jobs worth paying for? Porting, oui or non? I figure since I got it at the machine shop, I can have some nice work done to it. Any suggestions appreciated. I can count the amount of times I've driven this car with my hands. Can't wait to finish.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:02 am

14k wrote:then u find the markings on the crank pulley where the chain rides.

so what you're saying is once I get the chain back on I can just turn the crank pulley back to tdc marking(2nd notch I believe)? No special procedures?
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Fri May 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Still waiting on head. I hate buying from forum members. Especially the ones that have things for sell and not even ready to ship. Negative on the springs/retainers. 256/264 hks step 1s don't need the spring/retainers so I decided not to spend money on it. I haven't installed the new turbo setup but I've been thinking of selling this setup and going for gt28rs or a turbo capable of supporting atleast 350-400whp.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by LongGrain Sat May 23, 2009 3:23 am

i have a rear main seal retainer, it has the seal in it too.

LongGrain

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Tue May 26, 2009 12:03 pm

LongGrain wrote:i have a rear main seal retainer, it has the seal in it too.
thnx but I bought one already.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:35 pm

WTF, I hate buying on forums (not this forum). Dont think I mentioned but I bought a used head instead of getting my original machined(long story). After a month the seller finally sends me my s13 SR head BUT without the cam caps, which I specifically asked for. After weeks he said he shipped out the cam caps but no tracking. It's 2 weeks since. I'm now $260 short and looking for another head. I'm going to wait another week or so just incase he actually sent them. So I have no progress to talk about in my progress thread. I do have the motor ready to be pulled and that j30 LSD went in the second it was at my door. Once the cam caps are in, I'm going to have the head cleaned and decked, if needed, at manitowac motor machine, manitowac is like 20 mins from here. I have this corner of my room full of boxes of parts just ready to be put on and I'm ready to do with the putting of the on! I guess this is more of a annoyed rant than a progress posting. sorry guys.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by DockSide55 Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:22 pm

hahaha word. i hate cars. but after they are done, its was sooo worth it.
is the timing chain really that hard? i got a rattle too since i bought the car but never really did anything. is there consequence to just riding this out? this winter i might be getting a motorset so id rather not deal with it. and good luck with that head dilema dude. sucks. some people are just shaddy ass fuck. but good luck man. keep your head up.
DockSide55
DockSide55

Back to top Go down

Post by Rad Mike Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 am

ecko just take off you valve cover and remove the timing chain guide. its the easiest thing evarrr
Rad Mike
Rad Mike
BRINGING SEXY BACK

Number of posts : 1162
Vehicle : Angel's Cornhole
Registration date : 2009-02-03

http://chicagoarea240sx.editboard.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:48 am

Eckominds wrote:hahaha word. i hate cars. but after they are done, its was sooo worth it.
is the timing chain really that hard? i got a rattle too since i bought the car but never really did anything. is there consequence to just riding this out? this winter i might be getting a motorset so id rather not deal with it. and good luck with that head dilema dude. sucks. some people are just shaddy ass fuck. but good luck man. keep your head up.

It's not really hard, just alot of things to take off. FSM asks to take off the intake and exhaust side of the motor which I don't see why you'd have to. Some say that all you have to do is take off that top guide. For me, the lower guide was cracked too so I don't know. Also I plan on keeping this car for awhile so I figured "preventative maintenance" ya know?!

Guys, check out my for sale thread. Selling my partial setup because I've decided to go disco potato/264/264 instead of gt28r/256/264.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 am

Almost finish! I had to do some reshiming so waiting on some shims I needed in certain measurements. Got lots of work done: completly new head internals, most if not all usual maintenance( waterpump, thermostat, tchain, iacv clean, every gasket/seal new, etc...). That should hold me for a good looong time. *crosses fingers* Kept the gt2560r with 264/264 setup. WAnted gt28rs but looks like the motor is coming together before I could grab a low mileage potato so I'm keeping the gt2560r. In process of putting in oil press and wideband gauge, waiting on the 3 pod A pillar mount thing. By the way, about the guy who screwed me over on the head, well he got away. Got some extra parts, some oem, FS on zilvia under this nick. Will cut a deal for local guys. Flicktitty got a free TT but he flaked on it even though it was free, sold it for like $25 or so afterwards. Found a 3" flex pipe, going get welded on the dp. Hate loosing exhaust bolts. Learned alot from this build. DIY can be a good thing. Can offer hands to anyone needing it. If the few parts come in within the next weekend, I should have the car running with this motor makeover by the end of the month. Also if nothing's wrong then I get to drive it before it snows, haha. Funny because it just came out of hybernation.

sorry for the grammer.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by DockSide55 Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:14 am

dope. make sure to make vids and crap. good thing to hear that its coming along.
DockSide55
DockSide55

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:10 am

Car is up and running(yipee, right in time for winter Rolling Eyes ). Tune is fine. Everything is good and going. Motor sounds good, no wierd noises. One thing I'm needing done is putting the flex piping on. Local muffler shop won't touch it b/c there isn't a cat. converter on my car. I also have a leak. Oil from the exhaust side of the motor, which I believe is the oil line to the turbo. Hard as hell to get to, I thought it was tightened enough, guess I was wrong.

more pics up later. here's one:my turbo setup/maintenance DSCI0060
looking at the pic, i'm not really feelin' the kouki spoiler.
you can tell it's a FL car, the top's clear coat is gone. Next year baby!
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:08 am

In for an update. Whoops no pics yet. I hate to waste net/server/forum space with pics of things you guys already know of or isn't "cool" enough to post pics of. Anyway, the oil leak was not a turbo line but a brake line(ss). Seems like the line inside the braided ss must've busted. I was wondering why the resevoir needed refilling. Swapped out a new one, bled it and good to go! Added reflective heat shielding to lines above the exh mani and the brake fluid resevoir. Not exactly sure if needed though, considering I have the stock mani w/stock heat shield but what the hell right? Cheapo tinted the lens on the HKS turbo timer. Gawd, that thing was bright.

Next to upgrade is some of the suspension. It currently has no name springs and tokico blue shocks. I found some candy under there too, whiteline anti roll bars! I don't drift (or know how) so I'm going with a tanabe df210 (low setup) with kyb agx shocks. For someone who doesn't use his car for motorsport why do I need adjustable shocks? well, I found a rear set for a great deal, new. Just looking for a deal on some fronts and some springs to complete and next spring they're going on. Also window shopping for wheels but for the time I'm in need of spacers and extended studs/open lug nuts(+38 wheels, lol). I don't think there's much engineering behind these so I'm going to grab what's cheapest. Unless someone knows something I don't, share! A/C belt broke, seems that tensioner pulley is stuck, WTF how? Not important so that's not getting any attention until next summer. That's it for now. The tuner bug's bite is fading away and subsiding.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down