Midwest240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RB owners (mainly 20det) please talk to me!

+4
LongGrain
240sxguy
boostin240
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RB owners (mainly 20det) please talk to me! - Page 2 Empty Re: RB owners (mainly 20det) please talk to me!

Post by WhatsADSM Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:28 am

ricefest wrote:
WhatsADSM wrote:
low end power/cost best value: KA-T is my first choice, then RB20 second
Mid end power/cost best value: RB25 + mods, second choice SR + mods
High end power/cost best value: LSx with light mods, second choice RB26 + light mods.

all of that is wrong..
complete sr swap and a ls1 swap are pretty much the same price saying you do it yourself...
parts for ls1 are cheaper then SR..
rb25 is the most expensive shit around to do..

now if your talking about labor with that list that u made.. you're still wrong.

RB swaps will be under LSx swaps..

but ka-T would be first then ca then sr and so on...

ROLLEYE

For a basic SR swap you can get it in the car and going for around 4k, no way is an LSx swap going to be that cheap... Having first hand experience with the LSx swap in a buddies car, which included doing a BUNCH of the work himself, it was about 7k to get it in. The price of the motor and the T-56 alone is quite the pretty penny.

Here is why I gave the list I did.

For the low power range the KA-T is great. It can be very reliable, easy to find parts, and parts are cheap. Not to mention the motor is already in the car... it will probably be the cheapest way to get reliable power around the low 200whp range.

If you want to go for a more mid range power, then the SR (due to sheer low cost aftermarket) and RB25 come into the picture. Personally I give the edge to the RB25 because the motor sets are very close to the same price as an SR, and although it costs a little more to swap in the long run the half liter just helps out so much more and even in stock form they have a bit more potential. Also the RB25 trans is WAY better than the SR. If you are looking in the 300-low 400whp range... I think this is your best bet for bang for the buck.

If you are looking for more than that and money is less of an object then really the LSx is probably the way to go. Although it is fairly pricey to get in there, a few inexpensive mods can have you putting down 400+whp N/A, and with some FI it will be a serious serious setup. The RB26 is just more expensive to do the same thing, even though the stock engine can handle quite a bit the cost in modifications to get it there is just too costly. You gotta go single, custom piping for everything, lots of cost in fueling/tuning, expensive cluthes/cams/etc. So on the high horse end of things LSx takes the cake, even though it is kind of pricey to start out.

WhatsADSM

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

RB owners (mainly 20det) please talk to me! - Page 2 Empty Re: RB owners (mainly 20det) please talk to me!

Post by ricefest Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:09 am

if u do the swap YOURSELF i said......
a ls1 is the SAME as a fuckin SR.

and yea it was that faggots rb25 car that i ran against a few times and rapped the shit out of..
not like i care...
that car came from a fuckin junkyard basically..
w/e not my deal..

and u can easily get 400 whp out of an SR with the stock tranny so idk why ur sayin rb25 is so much better.........

and yea... if your gona sit here and say u get parts for cheap why even make a fuckin thread?

wek-sos.
/thread.
ricefest
ricefest

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by u2chuki Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:57 am

spend $1000 on your ka = 200-250whp
or you can

spend $3500-5000 to get a stock sr, or rb which will be sam hp.

like you said, you have the ka in already.

yea i saw his setup. sumone put a link here awhile ago. he spend like $750 and had a t25 boosted ka on 12psi.
u2chuki
u2chuki

Number of posts : 249
Vehicle : s13 duh
Registration date : 2009-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatsADSM Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:31 am

ricefest wrote:if u do the swap YOURSELF i said......
a ls1 is the SAME as a fuckin SR.

and yea it was that faggots rb25 car that i ran against a few times and rapped the shit out of..
not like i care...
that car came from a fuckin junkyard basically..
w/e not my deal..

and u can easily get 400 whp out of an SR with the stock tranny so idk why ur sayin rb25 is so much better.........

and yea... if your gona sit here and say u get parts for cheap why even make a fuckin thread?

wek-sos.
/thread.

You are speaking out of ignorance and it shows. We did an LSx swap BY OURSELVES (including wiring) and it is nowhere near the price of an SR. PERIOD

SR/KA/RB20 trannies are okay into the 300whp range. Once you get near the 400whp mark you quoted and you want to push the car like on slicks you are playing with fire. There is a DAMN good reason Mazworks makes a kit to bolt the Z32 (Internally almost identical to an RB25) trans up to the SR.

Any time you want to race your SR against my "faggot" RB you let me know. I'll even pull off a spark plug wire for ya Wink

WhatsADSM

Back to top Go down

Post by boostin240 Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:50 pm

u2chuki wrote:spend $1000 on your ka = 200-250whp
or you can

spend $3500-5000 to get a stock sr, or rb which will be sam hp.

like you said, you have the ka in already.

yea i saw his setup. sumone put a link here awhile ago. he spend like $750 and had a t25 boosted ka on 12psi.

Everyones missing the point I was making earlier. The KA is not very healthy, its a high mileage SOHC, over 160K that burns oil. Thats whats in the car now. Yes I can drop around a $1,000 to boost it. Hell I can even get a CX racing kit for $1200 and then add some injectors and get an ECU. But I was just wondering if for a similar price I could get similar power out of an RB20.

RB20 motors with transmission sell for $1300 shipped all the time. Add another $1000 in the extra parts you need and your looking at $2300, abit more then a KA-T, but about the same as an SR.
boostin240
boostin240

Number of posts : 275
Vehicle : 3 X 240 coupes
Registration date : 2009-04-22

http://midweststreets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by boostin240 Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:55 pm

WhatsADSM wrote:
You are speaking out of ignorance and it shows. We did an LSx swap BY OURSELVES (including wiring) and it is nowhere near the price of an SR. PERIOD

SR/KA/RB20 trannies are okay into the 300whp range. Once you get near the 400whp mark you quoted and you want to push the car like on slicks you are playing with fire. There is a DAMN good reason Mazworks makes a kit to bolt the Z32 (Internally almost identical to an RB25) trans up to the SR.

Any time you want to race your SR against my "faggot" RB you let me know. I'll even pull off a spark plug wire for ya Wink

I agree, I was looking into it and generally most LS1s with T56s (usually high mileage wrecked vehicle pulls) cost around 3-4K. Then you need either the Sikky mount kit for $1750 or piece the parts using DAFT Innovations parts. Either way roughly another $1300 or more in mounts and custom parts just to bolt the motor down. Then you need a radiator, fans, new master cylinder for the clutch, clutch lines, power steering conversion lines, custom exhaust, clutch, and a few more things.

$5000 is probably the bare minimum needed to swap it, even that seems a bit on the cheap side. It all depends on the initial cost of the motorset. If you can get one for under 2,000 that definitely tips the scale. Ive seen a few wrecked LS1 powered cars go for around $1500. But damn T56s trasnmissions alone can go for that much if they are in superb condition.
boostin240
boostin240

Back to top Go down

Post by ricefest Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:05 am

[quote="WhatsADSM"]
ricefest wrote:

if i had my car i'd do it.
and you would be surprised of the power a 2871r pushes out instantly when u touch the throttle..
ricefest
ricefest

Back to top Go down

Post by ricefest Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:10 am

boostin240 wrote:
2871r $1000 - Way overpriced, not needed

hows that overpriced.?
overpriced cuz it's not "good enough"?
too small of a turbo.?
if i get a 240 again and a sr/ka-t setup that's the turbo i will use FOR SURE.
ricefest
ricefest

Back to top Go down

Post by LongGrain Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:37 am

what is with all the faggot drag racer talk in here, SLICKS BRO! for real?

RB20's are cheap because they are fucking worthless, the end.

been in the scene forever? dude you peddle ROTAS on the smallest forum on the internet... HELLA legit...

I didnt offer you my swap because i think SR's are the best, i offered it to you because you say you want "strong reliable motor that makes good power for a reasonable price" and thats what i have. if you would rather gamble on some some nasty junkyard trash then thats fine, not my game though...

LongGrain

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ricefest Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:40 am

i'm just trying to say the turbo's amazing.
and spools instantly.
ricefest
ricefest

Back to top Go down

Post by WhatsADSM Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:05 am

boostin240 wrote:

I agree, I was looking into it and generally most LS1s with T56s (usually high mileage wrecked vehicle pulls) cost around 3-4K. Then you need either the Sikky mount kit for $1750 or piece the parts using DAFT Innovations parts. Either way roughly another $1300 or more in mounts and custom parts just to bolt the motor down. Then you need a radiator, fans, new master cylinder for the clutch, clutch lines, power steering conversion lines, custom exhaust, clutch, and a few more things.

$5000 is probably the bare minimum needed to swap it, even that seems a bit on the cheap side. It all depends on the initial cost of the motorset. If you can get one for under 2,000 that definitely tips the scale. Ive seen a few wrecked LS1 powered cars go for around $1500. But damn T56s trasnmissions alone can go for that much if they are in superb condition.

Now that is the correct pricing! At least someone knows what they are talking about. RB owners (mainly 20det) please talk to me! - Page 2 42136
Yea it sounds pretty much like the KA-T is your best option.. I really think if you do the RB20 it will cost more to achieve the same thing. Maybe a simple refresh on your KA plus the kit is the best option for you. GL with whatever you decide.

LongGrain wrote:what is with all the faggot drag racer talk in here, SLICKS BRO! for real? ...

I have an RB and I occasionally take it to the drag strip so my setup gets called faggot not once but twice Laugh

Ironically I get called the ricer because I am talking about slicks... Stuff that people that actually race their cars use. LongGrain you also had a slighted comment (albiet much less passive than "faggot drag racer talk") in my intro thread, but didn't say a word when I told you I take it out road racing as well.

Fact of the matter is the OP is talking about power... Not turning prowess, not brake setups, or how I can stretch the biggest tire on the smallest rim (which I'll bet your an expert at). Hence we are talking about whp, power potential and even *gasp* drag racing.

WhatsADSM

Back to top Go down

Post by boostin240 Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:39 pm

ricefest wrote:
boostin240 wrote:
2871r $1000 - Way overpriced, not needed

hows that overpriced.?
overpriced cuz it's not "good enough"?
too small of a turbo.?
if i get a 240 again and a sr/ka-t setup that's the turbo i will use FOR SURE.

IF you go KA-T check out the S200 series of Borg Warner turbos. Non ball bearing so you can easily rebuild them yet they spool almost as fast, on a 2.4 they are crazy ! Per lb of boost they are much nicer then any garret of comparable size. And no need for coolant lines, oil cooled only. Thats if you want to make awesome power for cheap.

Otherwise on a car thats being tracked that turbo is overkill. Sure its a great turbo, fast spool, loads of power. But its really not needed unless your building a crazy drift car or something. Major plus is that it bolts up without any crazy modifications.
boostin240
boostin240

Back to top Go down

Post by boostin240 Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:07 pm

LongGrain wrote:

RB20's are cheap because they are fucking worthless, the end.

been in the scene forever? dude you peddle ROTAS on the smallest forum on the internet... HELLA legit...

I didn't offer you my swap because i think SR's are the best, i offered it to you because you say you want "strong reliable motor that makes good power for a reasonable price" and thats what i have. if you would rather gamble on some some nasty junkyard trash then thats fine, not my game though...

I wouldn't say they are worthless. More expensive to modify and get power out of sure. Older engine with less aftermarket support. Regardless its still a boosted I6 with a good solid valvetrain. But I wouldn't care to push more then a RB25 turbo, FMIC, Walbro, 12 psi of boost and an exhaust out of it anyways. Which would still be cheap.

I'm not peddling Rotas. I'm selling them at cost to those that want them. If your such a baller to get "LEGIT" wheels then go out and spend 3-4K on some WORKs, VOLKs, etc. The vast majority of 240 owners in this area either don't care for or cannot afford to spend money on those kind of wheels unless they are used especially in this economy.

And don't be such a sour puss because I don't want your SR. At some point in time even you SR was nasty junkyard trash, that's probably why you had it rebuilt, if you even that. But oh wait, your so legit you probably flew to Japan on JAL first class and picked up a fresh SR from Nissans overstock. affraid

Dude seriously.... I don't know why people turn these threads into pissing contests. I asked a few simple questions regarding a very narrow topic targeted at RB owners. Instead the thread turns into a huge debate over motors and whose got more balls. xross jerk

So far WhatsADSM was the only one that really answered the question very specifically and on topic.
boostin240
boostin240

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2