Midwest240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my bad luck. Car died on me at a stop light. help***

5 posters

Go down

my bad luck.  Car died on me at a stop light. help*** Empty my bad luck. Car died on me at a stop light. help***

Post by VNG704 Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:44 pm

So I was at a stop light engaging the clutch and shifter in 1st when the light turned green and the car died. At first I thought I may have stalled the car but it wouldn't even crank up. I thought battery so I closed my windows and nothing. They don't work BUT the radio comes on, the lights work, power door locks work. Oh and it's a nearly new battery. Had car towed home. Checked battery connections, they're good. Checked any and all fuses that have anything to do with ignition, battery, starter, egi, fuel pump, p/window, etc... and they're all fine. When the key is in "ON" position, there is no fuel pump whine-up. I almost think it's the alarm disabling the fuel pump or something. I enable and disable the alarm, still nothing. Maybe the stock alarm(?) which I don't have the alarm fob for. But isn't that impossible since all this happen while the car was on and running? Could be the fuel pump died on me but that wouldn't explain the windows not working. Would like to figure what the deal is but at the moment I'm worried about the window being open. Disconnected the battery for some time and reconnected to reset things but car still won't crank and windows don't work. Shooting in the dark here. Any help is appreciated. T.I.A.
VNG704
VNG704

Number of posts : 75
Vehicle : 00 4Runner, '97 240SX
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

my bad luck.  Car died on me at a stop light. help*** Empty Re: my bad luck. Car died on me at a stop light. help***

Post by 14k Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:08 am

If it was raining or moist a bad connection could have shorted or something.

check your relays and the window switches in the door, Im not sure but the ignition and power windows could be on the same circut, and if thats true a bad window switch would cause your symptoms

but idk im also just taking a guess.

is your car slammed? maybe your wiring harness is fucked
Admin

Number of posts : 2687
Vehicle : Cheby truck
Registration date : 2009-01-18

https://midwest240sx.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

my bad luck.  Car died on me at a stop light. help*** Empty Re: my bad luck. Car died on me at a stop light. help***

Post by VNG704 Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:09 am

14k wrote:If it was raining or moist a bad connection could have shorted or something.

check your relays and the window switches in the door, Im not sure but the ignition and power windows could be on the same circut, and if thats true a bad window switch would cause your symptoms

but idk im also just taking a guess.

is your car slammed? maybe your wiring harness is fucked
It wasn't raining but I don't drive the car that often. It may be still wet in places since it rained a day or two before. I'm going to check relays, specifically the ignition relay. Thing is, the only way I can think of to check relays is to have another one to swap it with. Ideas? Oh and my car is lowered but not slammed. I wish it was a little more lowered though. Thnx for the reply.

edit, searched how to test relay.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by shortyman4065 Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Hey bro happened to me but my cars auto...it's most likely the same problem though. CheaI'd say replace your temp senso, that's what caused mine to dies randomly like that as well. I also replace my rotor, spark plugs and o2 sensor since my check engine light went on. But what ahppened to me was the temp sensor caused all of those things to carbonate, so that's my bet. hope this helps.

shortyman4065

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by shortyman4065 Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Oh and als does the car want to turn over but doesn't? Cause tha's what happened to my car after I tried to re-start it. and try putting the pedal to the floor when starting it.

shortyman4065

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 am

shortyman4065 wrote:Oh and als does the car want to turn over but doesn't? Cause tha's what happened to my car after I tried to re-start it. and try putting the pedal to the floor when starting it.

I should probably note that it's an S14 with an S13 chuki SR20. And it doesn't crank or "want" to turn over at all. Only thing that happens when I try to start the car is the gauges, radio, etc... power up. Also the coolant temp sensor is nearly new.... sub 500 miles on that thing.

Update though, I swapped the ecu with my spare 63 ecu to check codes. My e5 ecu doesn't have an led to check codes. Anyway, the LED on the 63 doesn't even power on, it used to. So I'm guessing that power isn't getting to the ECU.

14k- I looked in the fsm(page EL-254 - EL-255) and there isn't an ignition relay. When the key is in the "on" position I do hear a click or two near driver side kick panel. Which according to the FSM, the only relays in that area are fuel pump, p/winder, and rear fog lamp relays. Also the only window switch I touched that day was the driver side, so how would I test that switch? Check for power? or actual operation of the switch(which I dunno how to test)?
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by 240sxguy Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Ignition fuse under the hood will disable everything your talking about.

Drivers side kick panel should only have a pair of relays, one for your ECU and another for your fuel pump. Relays for the windows are in the drivers side door and the relay for the fogs is in the box under the hood. Unless this is TOTALLY different from my 95'.

Sounds to me like you need to pull the column trim and make sure you have power at the ignition switch. Ill bet you don't somewhere.

Ultra obvious question; What is your battery voltage at right now?

I don't know about the factory security but I do know that you can disable the factory alarm with your key by unlocking the passenger side door with your door key. Your horn will also honk if it goes off.

Evan

240sxguy
Admin

Number of posts : 456
Vehicle : 1995 240sx
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:33 am

THanks for the reply. it's actually 6am right now but in the day, I'm going to check under the column trim for power at the ignition switch and battery voltage(even though it's new-ish). Going to try that factory alarm disable trick for the hell of it also. later.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by boostin240 Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Go over your engine grounds. You will be amazed at what can happen to the car if those are loose or bad?
boostin240
boostin240

Number of posts : 275
Vehicle : 3 X 240 coupes
Registration date : 2009-04-22

http://midweststreets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VNG704 Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:44 am

I'm gonna apologise for asking for help and not actually doing any work. Sorry! It's been coooold and that's making me a bum . I avoid going outside because of the temps. I'm probably going to pause on this until spring comes around. Thumbs down ...Thanks agian to everyone for their input.
VNG704
VNG704

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down