Midwest240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems after 5 speed swap

2 posters

Go down

Problems after 5 speed swap Empty Problems after 5 speed swap

Post by dabears_23 Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Ok so i finally got my swap completed but i have some problems:

1. Speedometer is going crazy, it reads alot higher than im actually driving, it moves but doesnt bounce, RPMs meter works but not the speedometer
2. Cruise Control does not work at all, it power up but doesnt work

The two wire harnesses on the tranny were cut off by accident so that might be it, i rewired some of it and got the reverse and brake lights working
-Reverse lights and Brake lights work fine.

3. I couldnt use the 5 speed ECU I bought. The connections were not the same. Do i have to rewire or something?

My car is a 98 and i have OBDII emission testing due at the end of this month so i need the ECU swapped or atleast modded to work the way the factory 5 speeds came in and ASAP

yes i did search here and in other forums but nothing helped, but if i missed something please direct me there.

Overall succesful swap minus those things.

thanks in advance
dabears_23
dabears_23

Number of posts : 35
Vehicle : 1998 Nissan 240SX LE
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Problems after 5 speed swap Empty Re: Problems after 5 speed swap

Post by booey13 Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:50 am

dabears_23 wrote:Ok so i finally got my swap completed but i have some problems:

1. Speedometer is going crazy, it reads alot higher than im actually driving, it moves but doesnt bounce, RPMs meter works but not the speedometer
2. Cruise Control does not work at all, it power up but doesnt work

The two wire harnesses on the tranny were cut off by accident so that might be it, i rewired some of it and got the reverse and brake lights working
-Reverse lights and Brake lights work fine.

3. I couldnt use the 5 speed ECU I bought. The connections were not the same. Do i have to rewire or something?

My car is a 98 and i have OBDII emission testing due at the end of this month so i need the ECU swapped or atleast modded to work the way the factory 5 speeds came in and ASAP

yes i did search here and in other forums but nothing helped, but if i missed something please direct me there.

Overall succesful swap minus those things.

thanks in advance

The speedometer error is probably your speed sensor. I had the same problem after I swapped mine. I'm not sure on the cruise prob, I have a sparco wheel so it doesn't work anyway. I used the auto ecu with my swap and it worked out fine. No rev limiter now tho. I don't know if it would be the same for OBD II or not and if it would pass for emissions...we son't have those tests in Iowa. Problems after 5 speed swap 42136
booey13
booey13

Number of posts : 217
Vehicle : 92 Coupe
Registration date : 2009-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by booey13 Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:44 am

The cruise probably doesn't work because the speed sensor is bad. You usually have to reach a certain speed before it will even turn on. If it's not reading then the cruise probably thinks you're on and off the gas or braking...
booey13
booey13

Back to top Go down

Post by dabears_23 Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:45 pm

yeah that makes sense for the cruise control.

See I heard that you can use the Auto ECU with no problem but that it is recommended to use the Manual if you are going to get your OBDII car inspected for emissions. Im trying to get that fixed
dabears_23
dabears_23

Number of posts : 35
Vehicle : 1998 Nissan 240SX LE
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by booey13 Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:58 pm

dabears_23 wrote:yeah that makes sense for the cruise control.

See I heard that you can use the Auto ECU with no problem but that it is recommended to use the Manual if you are going to get your OBDII car inspected for emissions. Im trying to get that fixed

I'm not sure why an ecu would change emissions...it's not like your changing your exhaust...or deleting a cat or anything...but then again I'm from Iowa lol
booey13
booey13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down